Shalom Adventure is a program for older people who live at home and want to socialise with others in the Jewish community.
Participants can choose to take part in a range of supportive activities which address their physical, emotional and intellectual needs.
- Fun outings to Kings Park, Lake Monger and other scenic locations in Perth.
- Encourages people to get out of their homes and enjoy the company of like-minded individuals.
- A warm and friendly environment that cares for the unique needs of Jewish people.
- Jewish holidays are celebrated.
- Special guests discuss Israel and other topics related to Judaism.
- Kosher lunch is provided.
- Friendly people are on hand to assist participants.
Shalom Adventure includes a range of enjoyable activities designed to encourage independence.
A Kosher lunch is provided during the day as part of the program to ensure nutritional needs are addressed. Past activities include:
- Music & Movement – such as laughter yoga, tai chi and light physio workouts.
- Picnics & scenic visits – to Kings Park and other beautiful areas.
- River cruises – enjoy a relaxing journey along the Swan River.
- Farms & rural properties – exploring gorgeous properties in the country.
- Religious & cultural festivals – in and around Perth.
- Games – such as card games, board games and quizzes.
- Guest Speakers – discussing topics which relate to the lives of our members.
- Gentle exercise sessions – suitable for people who do not normally exercise.
When is Shalom Adventure Held?
Participants meet every Friday morning. The session starts in the morning and finishes around 2pm.
How do I Get There?
- Car – Members may use their own transport to attend Shalom Adventure.
- Bus – For a small fee a bus service can collect and return members to their homes.
Members pay an attendance fee which is determined on an individual basis at the time of assessment.
People experiencing financial difficulty may apply for their fee to be reduced.
Who runs Shalom Adventure?
Shalom Adventure was established over four years ago by Umbrella Multicultural Community Care Services and JewishCare WA.
Both organisations identified a need within the Jewish community to provide a program which supported the social and emotional needs of older people.
How Can I Join?
Shalom Adventure is a Home and Community Care (HACC) funded project.
Under current HACC guidelines new members are required to undergo an assessment before being eligible to join Shalom Adventure.
To arrange an assessment with HACC please contact JewishCare WA on 9275 6743.
[caption id="attachment_470" align="aligncenter" width="448"] Walking at John Forrest National Park.[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_471" align="aligncenter" width="448"] The touch pool at the Marine Discovery Centre[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_472" align="aligncenter" width="447"] Out and about on the Umbrella bus.[/caption]